Skip to Content Top

5 Common Reasons to Request a Child Custody Modification

Blogs from December, 2021

father getting son ready for school

After your divorce, your circumstances may change. As a parent who shares custody of your children, you should plan to modify your child custody agreement once every two to three years to accurately reflect your child’s needs. Depending on how significant the changes may be, it may be time for you or your child’s other parent to request a child custody modification.

Change in Child’s Schedule

As your child grows up, their schedule will change. This may include drop-off and pickup times from school, added extracurricular activities, and part-time jobs. If your child’s schedule now does not reflect your original child custody schedule, it may be necessary to request a child custody agreement modification.

Change in Parent’s Schedule

Just like your children’s schedule changing, as an adult, your career may change your work schedule. If you now have to travel regularly or work different work hours than in your original custody schedule, it qualifies as a significant change for a modification. In your modification, outline to the best of your abilities your new work schedule and how it may affect parenting time.

One Parent Is Moving

If you or your child’s parent is moving, then a custody modification may be requested. This modification may include new travel guidelines, how your child will contact the moving parent, and other new logistics now that your child’s parents may not live as close together.

Safety Concerns for the Child

If you are concerned for your child’s safety while visiting with their other parent, then a child custody modification may be necessary. If you have evidence that your child is in danger or your child’s other parent is making your child vulnerable to abuse or other dangerous activities, you may need to file a protective order. After the protective order is filed, then you can modify your child custody situation.

One Parent is Unable to Care for Your Child

If one parent is unable to care for your child, then it may be necessary to file for a child custody modification for sole custody of your child. The parent can be deemed an unfit parent by the courts and thus lose their custody rights to your child.

If you have questions about requesting a child custody modification, call our child custody attorneys at (626) 653-4075 to schedule an appointment today. Our team at Law Offices of Christopher L. Hoglin, P.C. can answer any questions you may have or guide you through filing a child custody modification.