Skip to Content Top

Am I Responsible for Financing My Child’s Post-Graduate Education?

Blogs from August, 2022

college lecture hall

As a parent of a high school student, you might be helping them study for the SAT or ACT and completing their college applications. With the prospect of college education, you might be unsure of how your child’s further education will be paid for. Our Pasadena family law attorneys at Law Offices of Christopher L. Hoglin, P.C. share what you should know about financially supporting your child through higher education.

Parents Are Not Obligated To Financially Support Through Higher Education

When your child turns 18 or graduates high school, their child support payments will terminate unless you have stated otherwise in your child support agreement. This exception can be made if both you and your spouse agree to continue providing for your shared child until a certain designated point, such as their college graduation or a specific birthday.

If these payments terminate before your child begins their college career or vocational school enrollment, you are not obligated to financially support them through further education.

But What If I Want to Help?

Some parents may wish to help their children and reduce the total value of student loans their child may need. While you are not obligated to financially provide for your child while they continue their education, you can continue to provide for them. This may include helping them pay for:

  • room and board,
  • textbooks and other educational needs, and
  • even tuition fees.

If you and your child’s other parent have created a college savings account for your child, you can use the savings to help your child pay for their tuition or other educational expenses.

Your Case Is In Good Hands

At Law Offices of Christopher L. Hoglin, P.C., we understand that you may be unsure of the financial support your child may receive after their child support terminates. Our child support attorneys can help you review your child’s current support order and prepare for your child’s educational future.

Are you a parent of a high school student who receives or pays child support? Schedule a consultation with our family law attorney today to learn more about how we can help you plan for the future. Call us today at (626) 653-4075 to get started!